HABS

HABS
HABS

Friday, March 4, 2011

Hard practice pays off!

        
The media here in Montreal that follow the habs like to talk about the negative points, but I am trying to bring something different in match analysis and talk about the positive points even if sometimes I will have to point out the bad things they do on the ice.
          On Wednesday the Canadiens worked hard at practice and touched on the simple things like power play strategies and the transition game amongst others, and it showed in last night's game. The Panthers had a hard time causing anything dangerous and if they had 10 shots from the slot they were lucky. The habs didn't leave much room for them to be creative and make plays. The defence was strong and Price didn't allow many rebounds. Yes the panthers weren't very good last night, but I have to say that the canadiens were very good and followed the game plan to the letter. I also heard the so called experts say that Vokoun didn't show up last night or that he didn't care anymore cause he allowed 2 goals on 3 shots, but honestly that first goal he had 2 habs players screening him, and Kostitsyn's goal; seriously I don't see many goalies saving that shot.
           A bit about kostitsyn, since he has been paired up with Eller he has shown he can be a very good player. The hard working Eller has giving AK46 new life. That diagonal cross ice pass he made to Gill for Gill's first goal in 100 games was very nice. And what can I say about his goal, when he utilizes his shot like the way he did on his goal I believe he has one of the best shots in the league. On little thing I would like him to have is that desire to score on every shift and have an eye for the net, for example in the 13 minute of the 2nd period he was cutting to the right threw the slot and instead of coming back to the inside and using that amazing wrist shot of his, he settles for a soft backhand shot on net. If he had that hunger for scoring he can easily be a 30-35 goal scorer in the league. Another thing I like about that line is the fact they keep things simple and they execute well. On Eller's goal the 3 linemates rush the net at the same time and Moen does a little backhand pass and all Eller has to do is extend his stick and tip it in. that is the little things they do at practice paying off.
          On the Desharnais goal I honestly believe Pouliot wanted to make that pass, because he looks at David and lobs him the puck, Desharnais with his hockey smarts sticks with the play and gloves' the puck puts it on the ice and as he is getting hit slides it threw Clemenson's five-hole. They had a 2 on 1 in the last 3 minutes of the 1 period and Pouliot took the shot from the top of the circle and even if I think he has to use his shot because he has a good one also, I think he could of waited a bit, get closer and confuse the goalie by looking at Desharnais and then getting a shot off from close up.
          I was one to complain about Coach Martin always playing with his line but I think he has found the right combinations. I like these duos he has going on with Plekanec-Cammalleri, Gionta-Pacioretty, Desharnais-Pouliot and Eller-Kostitsyn. It gives the habs players that can score on every line and players that can backcheck on every line also.
        And now some praise for Hamrlik, in the last 3 minutes of the 2nd period, Bernier is coming into the zone and the play could have been dangerous but Hammer comes back and aborts the play with a very good defensive play. That is why the acquisition of Sopel becomes important because now Hamrlik doesn't have to play over 25 minutes and is more efficient that way. And how about in the 7th minute of the 3rd, that two-line pass to Pacioretty was beautiful, just a shame Pacioretty hit the post on that one, because they would have deserved to get that one. And seconds later AK46 hits the post also, with an amazing wrist shot.
         For once the habs showed discipline last night, only maybe Pouliot's penalty was a stupid one because they were in the offensive zone, but I will forgive for that if he starts practicing his one on one battles at practice. Another note on the special teams, since sopel's arrival the canadiens haven't allowed one goal on the penalty kill in 11 or 12 chances. That’s why Gauthier went out and got him and it is paying off.
        How about a bit of positive on Gomez, cause maybe it will do him some good, even if I know he can still play better I liked one thing I saw him do yesterday, in the 10th minute of the third he is transporting the puck from the back end and instead of doing what he usually does he decides to slow down in the neutral zone and wait for Pacioretty to get there and feed him the puck as Patches is crossing the blue line. I would to see Gomez do that type of play more often, you know mix it up a bit, I think that would help his game a lot. But one thing is for sure he is going to have to shorten his shifts because last night he had  at least 6 if not more  shifts that he stayed on the ice for more than a minute and a half, and that I don't want to see.
        I should mention Price shouldn't I? After all it was a shutout he got and his 7th of the season. (This is good for second in the league tied with Thomas and only one behind Lundqvist) But he makes it look so easy out there that people will start thinking he is not doing much, but that is what talented players do, they make it look easy as for less talented goalies will have to work twice as hard to make the saves he does, thus making them look spectacular. ( Ex: Halak and Thomas) Price not only make the big save look easy he also helps out the system of the team with his stick handling making the quick first pass so the team can counter attack and use their speed. And that’s what I call a complete and elite goalie.
       Just a quick explanation of why Mara plays one game and then sits two. In my opinion Mara will play when the opposing forwards are big and heavy, to help the team win battles in the corners. And when the other team have smaller and quicker forwards the coach will play Picard or Weber.( I would prefer Weber though) I have confidence in Coach Martin if I don’t always agree with him because after all he has over 1000 games in the NHL and is at almost 600 wins. That cannot be just a fluke.
      And now let's get ready for the real test, against the Bolts tomorrow won't be easy but I believe the habs can come out strong, if they score the first goal they will make it easier in themselves, like that they will be able to execute the game plan and utilize their system, but I guarantee Guy Boucher will have his team prepared and the habs will have to be disciplined. That being said I will be happy if the habs come out of Tampa with only one point, because we can't win all of them and 5 out of six points on the road is a good sign for the rest of the season. Because the canadiens will play the majority of games left on the road, so the more points they accumulate now the better.

       For my daily readers sorry but tomorrow I won’t be writing my blog because I am going to Toronto. But I will be back on Monday with a recap of the Tampa game. Thanks for understanding and enjoy the Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment