HABS

HABS
HABS

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The possibility of seeing Chris Philips in a habs uniform, and he return of the "L'Artiste"

     I know alot  of  people will call me crazy, and to be honest, I might be. Yesterday I told a friend I had a feeling Philips was going to be a canadien by the end of the weekend, and he told me he agreed and added he thought Kovalev was coming with him.At first, I thought that was crazy and the conversation ended there. But while I was working I started thinking about it and maybe he could help as a RENTAL player. The motivation he would have in a playoff run might help the habs as a top 9 player. And if he wants to play in the NHL next year he has to show some teams that might be interested in signing him that he can still play at an NHL level. That being said he has shown some encouraging signs in the last couple of weeks.
     Now let me show you the line up I would have with both of them in the team if I was coach of the canadiens:

   Kovalev  Plekanec  Cammalleri
   Gionta     Gomez       Kostitsyn
   Pouliot    Desharnais  Pacioretty
   Moen      Halpern        White/Pyatt

 Subban         Philips
 Hamirlik        Mara/Spacek
 Weber         Gill

       Keep in mind I am not taking into a count ice time or who's 1st, 2nd or 3rd line. I think Cammy and Kovalev centered by Pleky can be that line with the killer instinct that can score that killer goal the team has lacked in games they are leading 2-0, that 3rd goal would of put those games out of reach for the opposing team.
      Gionta's hard work would maybe help that Gomez- Kostitsyn duo, that has not been doing well at all in the last few weeks if not longer.
      I have been saying for a while I would like to see Pacioretty on that Pouliot- Desharnais  line, let's call them the "new generation" line. The fact that Pacioretty and Pouliot are 6 feet plus, would add some height to Desharnais, which with all the talent and heart he has the fact remains that he is short and sometimes teams try to take advantage of that. Those three lines would give the Canadiens production from 3 lines, which the canadiens haven't had in a while.As for the 4th line, Halpern can win you some faceoffs and Moen and White can show some grit and toughness when the time presents itself.
     Now for the defensive pairings, I think the type of blueliner Philips is can help a rookie like Subban, when the time is right he can make his offensive showings, knowing he can count on Philips to back him up if ever there is a turnover. Hamirlik and Spacek have shown they can shut down the best lines on opposing teams when they are together, if their ice time is not too imposing cause the fact is they are 35 years old. As for Weber and Gill, Weber has shown he can play well in his territory and is improving every game,  Gill is an asset for the playoffs and for the penalty kill, with Philips with him on the PK they can have some of the success he had with Gorges.
     People keep in mind that Kovalev can only be a RENTAL and we shouldn't sign him come July 1st. For what we would give in return I can't tell you, cause I'm not in the negociations and anyways I'll keep that for the General Manager, after all that is his job.
      If you don't agree with me and have other suggestions, feel free to comment and I will be happy to answer back!

No comments:

Post a Comment